Friends in Uniform I



"Best friends are those who, when you show up at their door with a dead body, say nothing, grab a shovel, and follow you."

I have looked up to people who carry out their duties and responsibilities to the letter...

Because that would mean, they have been hardened through sheer difficulties.

I have always respected men in their fatigue uniforms, marching in training
and have always been awed by those who at a young age came to be the
officers that they are...

During childhood, I enjoy seeing them conversing with civilians,
Most probably it reminds me of the war movies I've seen,
Inspired too much from it..

More so, when I befriended some civilians turned soldiers,
Men and women turned officers of the law,
and had been always proud to see them
and be with them
More proud when I can say for myself that I'm their friend,
or that I know them and can call on them like one calls a friend...

Many of them have brought me reasons to be upright (ethically)
While others have been instrumental in learning my capacity
to be at the right path (no matter how long I stayed at the wrong road)

Still some others have made me realized that I am what I am,
I will say what I mean, and mean what I say.

When Life passed by them, I can say that I felt a familiar kinship,
At first, they were silent....(being the stranger that I am to them),
and gradually, I earned friends and brothers that I can always call
to be consoled, to console and if schedule permits, some bonding times...

But like everything in Life,
one never stays long enough at one space for a long period of time,
(even married individuals never do)
and so, bidding adieu have always been sad and difficult...

You would always want to see them,
and hear their stories and share the good times.

I'm glad I am not one of them, not because of the issue in question
pertaining to their organization,
but rather,
I will never meet them if I'm one of them...

I will not come to know the person behind those uniforms,
I will not experience confiding to a brother about a crazy crush on one
I would not be able to exchange banter with them,
because most probably, I am either superior or a subordinate to them -

I am glad that I am not one of them,
but sad that I am not,
for I cannot speak how it feels
that the organization you belong to is now
under question...
A question that affected everyone,
including civilians...

All I can do, is touch a fragile enclosure,
trying to see how it affects each and everyone

Quite emotional introduction...
it is that affection for these people
that I speak
and it is affection for children,
that I write...
and it is to my own learning
that I analyze this one.

I do not wish to trod on anyone's foot
but only hopes to bring the limelight
to the small people that gets grazed
by stray rumors...

For a change, instead of looking at the dark mud
that stained a white sheet,
Instead of appreciating the white sheet,
Let's try to look way past behind the white sheet,
and see what else had been hit by that dark mud...

No comments:

Post a Comment